Physical Website Monitor based on Server Density’s Monitoring

I wanted to make something to make monitoring more tangible. So I made a board to display the current status of this website chrishannam.co.uk as monitored from a number of remote “actors” provided by Server Density. Below is a snapshot of the monitoring setup from Server Density’s service page.

website monitoring setup

Remote monitoring actors.

The build was pretty basic and luckily I had the parts lying around from previous projects. Rather than explain the setup I’ll give you the link I used as it covers everything better than I could explain. Adafruit Shift Register is an excellent guide on wiring and programming 8 bit shift registers. The only difference is I used tri colour LEDs. The LEDs I used were almost identical to these Tri Colour LEDs from eBay. They do red, green and blue light. I just removed the blue leg as I didn’t need it.

The LEDs are mounted in a 6mm thick panel of MDF. The map was just a simple one printed off Wikipedia.

I used an Arduino Uno but any basic Arduino is up to the job. The code to control the board is listed below. It’s based on the Adafruit example from their excellent guide.

View from behind.

Wired up LEDs

Wiring for Arduino

Here it is in action.

Next I needed to talk to Server Density’s API which luckily is pretty simple. I get the last time from each actor, and test to see if it’s below 0.4 seconds. 0.4 ensures at least 1 server usually Sydney will be down, so it makes for a better display. The Arduino code flips the colour of the LED to make updates a binary change with a message over serial.

One interesting thing about the code is the number of sleeps.

WHEN OPENING A SERIAL CONNECTION TO AN ARDUINO IT RESTARTS!

Bear that in mind. You need to allow time for the Arduino to setup the connection over the serial connection is initiated. This also applies to sending data backwards and forwards as well. Adding the sleeps ensures everything runs smoothly and nothing gets lost.

This was a basic prototype, I am hoping to expand it to an A3 sized map with more locations.